In fact, according to the company’s 1113 filing with the bankruptcy court earlier this year as well as its last/best/final and non-negotiable proposal to its BCTGM-represented workers, the company was planning to close at least nine bakeries as part of its reorganization plan, although the company refused to disclose which bakeries it intended to close. This is in addition to the three bakeries that were to be closed as a result of the company’s planned sale of its Merita division.Hostess is in bankruptcy for the second time in recent years. Workers took concessions just a few years ago and this year the company has stopped making its contractually obligated contributions to their pensions. Meanwhile, according to the union, the company's CEO got a 300 percent raise, from $750,000 to $2,250,000, while other top executives got raises of hundreds of thousands of dollars apiece. Hostess may have problems, but, like the possible plant closings, they don't come from what the rank and file workers have done.
Moreover, St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay was quoted in a November 13 KMOX-CBS St. Louis article stating, “I was told months ago they were planning on closing the site in St. Louis… And there was no indication at that time it had anything to do with the strike the workers were waging.”
Workers at more than 20 Hostess plants have gone on strike after overwhelmingly rejecting the company's demands for major wage and benefits concessions. In response, Hostess is claiming that it may have to close plants because of the strike. The Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers, and Grain Millers union has a convincing argument that's a lie, though:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
meg, grover, concernedamerican, raster44, Brian B, emeraldmaiden, BlueMississippi, elwior, Its any one guess, Gemina13, Groucho Marxist, suesue, Cinnamon, sasidechick, bluedust, diffrntdrummr, allergywoman, Mostel26, JGibson, weck
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Laura Clawson
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...82 comments 256 Recs
- I am sad, but also excited, to announce that after 11 years I am leaving Daily Kos and joining Raintank , where I will be working on monitoring software and doing devsy-opsy. It's been a long and ...120 comments 293 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...132 comments 136 Recs
- To give voice to 35 workers killed on the job over the past 35 years at a massive refinery in Texas City, hundreds of surviving family members, co-workers and friends gathered there last month to ...4 comments 19 Recs
- Like many, I am watching the terrible events in Baltimore play out, and am also following the very disturbing details of Freddie Gray's death as they are revealed. I'm writing tonight because the ...115 comments 164 Recs
- Watching the discussion around the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) gives me a nasty sense of déjà vu. Long before joining AFGE, I worked as a food service worker, licensed practical nurse, and ...178 comments 208 Recs
- Americans across the political spectrum need to rise up and stop Fast Track now! The good news is that overwhelmingly House Democrats will vote No! The bad news is that lined up against them, and ...4 comments 14 Recs
- At the American Association of Editorial Cartoonists in Washington, D.C. in 2012, Dan Perkins appears with Sparky the Penguin, his avatar and a leading character in his cartoon This ...60 comments 222 Recs
- This is no plea for pity for corporate kingpins like Walmart and McDonald’s inundated by workers’ demands for living wages. Raises would, of course, cost these billion-dollar corporations ...7 comments 19 Recs
- Tonight, starting at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT and running for about 15 hours, we will be taking Daily Kos offline to implement a major upgrade to the infrastructure behind the site. There should be no ...239 comments 179 Recs