The NEA, SEIU, and AFSCME unveiled the ads they'll be airing to pressure potentially wobbly Democratic senators and potentially semi-reasonable Republican House members to extend middle-class tax cuts (but, implied, not those other ones for rich people) and avert cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Television ads target Democratic senators in Colorado (seen above), Virginia, and Missouri. Radio ads will run in Alaska, Pennsylvania, and Missouri:
The radio ads target members of both parties with an appeal to bipartisanship. “Congress should act quickly to preserve the middle class tax cuts,” the narrator says. “And that will take leaders willing to put people ahead of partisan politics.”
The Thanksgiving-week ad campaign is a prelude to a campaign that will include grassroots lobbying and more throughout the lame duck session.

Originally posted to Daily Kos Labor on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 06:48 AM PST.

Also republished by Daily Kos.

•  nice ad (3+ / 0-)
    ColoTim, PSzymeczek, shaharazade

A positive message for change.

"Political ends as sad remains will die." - YES 'And You and I' ; -8.88, -9.54

by US Blues on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 09:03:56 AM PST

•  It's a great message (1+ / 0-)
      Womantrust

but the GOP will never agree to extending the middle class tax cuts by themselves, because those cuts are the only hostages they have in order to keep their billionaire tax cuts.

"You don't give us our billionaire cuts and the middle class gets its throats cut!!!!"  --your "modern" GOP

"I can't play the game no more, I can't abide
      By their stupid rules which get me sick inside." —Bob Dylan

by Pragmatus on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 09:15:57 AM PST

•  Allen West Concedes!! (3+ / 0-)
    PSzymeczek, shaharazade, a2nite

Don't know whether this has been on KOS already...

"I can't play the game no more, I can't abide
    By their stupid rules which get me sick inside." —Bob Dylan

by Pragmatus on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 09:04:51 AM PST

•  I called them both this morning and said (3+ / 0-)

I'd be in favor of dropping all of the Bush tax cuts and using the savings for jobs, especially green energy of which Colorado has a lot of jobs in limbo right now.  Return to the Clinton tax rates and the economy would take care of the deficit.  This is a nice ad, but I called before I heard this.

•  I just (3+ / 0-)
      ColoTim, ban nock, Maverick80229

called both of them as well--they're my Senators too.

Seems like the 'extraction industry' is doing pretty well down here around Durango. Federal help in extracting energy from the sun & wind would be great. ANY job paying more than $10/hr would be fantastic here!

My County turned back the Repubs big time here in the election, but we were unable to rid ourselves of that douche, Teabagger Scott Tipton though. Next time...

"The better I know people, the more I like my dog."

by Thinking Fella on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 09:21:32 AM PST

•  I'd strongly disagree (1+ / 0-)
      ColoTim

Four of the tax cuts help struggling low income families in CO. I  understand how distant low income people probably are to most of the people reading here, but the payroll tax cut, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit, Child and Dependent Care Credit, target struggling low income Colorado people, single people too.

I'm with the President, we can't afford to increase taxes except on those who are doing well, the upper income folks, later maybe when working people rise above poverty level income.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 09:56:49 AM PST

•  If the choice is to eliminate those tax credits (1+ / 0-)
        ban nock

but also to use the money from those credits for more job investment, wouldn't that help as well?  More people working, more tax revenues for cities and states, better roads and infrastructure.

I don't know how much those particular credits are, not having children, but I do know I received the $300 Bush tax credit.  I guess maybe I don't know all the tax cuts from Obama but I should.

•  They can add up to a few thousand dollars (1+ / 0-)
          ColoTim

not only for people with kids anymore too. The payroll tax added 2% onto everyone's payroll who earns under 6 figures. That was the deal Obama got after the last hostage situation.

The Earned Income is up to a couple three thousand, I'm sketchy on the details but it lifts many people up above the poverty line. I know people without kids who were very happy. I think it was part of the first stimulus.

Most people here work at least one full time and possibly an extra part time job yet still fall well below poverty. It's been this way for a long time.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 08:11:38 PM PST

•  I'd add... we mostly don't need jobs, we all work (1+ / 0-)
          ColoTim

or we don't eat. A boost of minimum to be a livable wage would help.

There are some posts on the front page now about Walmart. Walmart is THE big employer. They start just above minimum. After a few years with raises you still make poverty wages. It's not that Walmart is evil, they are one of the better employers. It's just that wages are horrendous for people in my town.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 08:16:11 PM PST

•  Please help this go viral... (1+ / 0-)
    PSzymeczek

The more people involved the better opportunity there is for this to become effective. Don't forget to contact your own senator and make this happen. Thanks.

"Our separation from each other is an optical illusion of consciousness." Albert Einstein.

by kararay on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 09:08:30 AM PST

•  Nice production values, but (2+ / 0-)
    ban nock, shaharazade

it's awfully vague about how to create jobs and put Americans back to work. It seems that everyone is too scared to mention any kind of spending increases given the Repub insistence on massive spending cuts to accompany any deal on tax increases. I'd like to see less pussy-footing on this issue.

•  renounce (1+ / 0-)
    shaharazade

Ads should demand congressmen/women abandon a blind commitment not to raise taxes --no matter what.  You can't compromise with someone who has sworn not to compromise.

Apres Bush, le deluge.

by melvynny on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 09:12:41 AM PST

•  Given that the TV ads... (2+ / 0-)
      PSzymeczek, ban nock

...are asking Democratic Senators to stand up for job-creating spending, I don't think that call is necessarily applicable. As far as I know, no Democratic Senator has signed Grover Norquist's pledge.

by JamesGG on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 09:15:34 AM PST

•  true (0+ / 0-)

This way the viewer/listener connects the dots himself---it doesn't blatantly look like an attack ad.

Apres Bush, le deluge.

by melvynny on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 09:21:36 AM PST

•  Actually in the 112th Congress (0+ / 0-)

one Senator Ben Nelson and two house members signed the pledge.

Americans for Tax Reorm

In the 112th Congress serving from 2011–2, all but six of the 242 Republican members plus two Democratic members of the U.S. House of Representatives, for a total of 238 – a majority of that body – as well as all but seven of the 47 Republican members plus one Democratic member of the U.S. Senate, for a total of 41, have signed the Taxpayer Protection Pledge.[7] All except 13 sitting Republicans have signed the pledge, while three Democrats have signed it (Sen. Ben Nelson (NE) and House members Robert Andrews (NJ) and Ben Chandler (KY)).[7]
  •  I'm boran2 and I approve this message. n/t (0+ / 0-)

I'm not always political, but when I am I vote Democratic. Stay Democratic, my friends. -The Most Interesting Man in the World

by boran2 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 09:37:15 AM PST

•  Somebody has got to keep the heat on. n.t (1+ / 0-)
    shaharazade

If money is speech, then speech must be money.

by dkmich on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 09:39:54 AM PST

•  Senator Udall, (1+ / 0-)
    shaharazade

your father would be proud!

You can't keep a mighty tree alive (much less expect it to thrive) by only spritzing the fine leaves at its tippy-top. The fate of the whole tree depends on nurturing the grassroots. - Jim Hightower

by PSzymeczek on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 09:44:54 AM PST

•  I've heard nothing about either of these two (0+ / 0-)

senators "going wobbly". As far as I know both support the plan put for by the president. Udall is up for re-election in 14, I've already gotten emails, Bennet is a serious team player with the Obama folks, I can't imagine him voting otherwise, OFA was key in his election.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 10:00:33 AM PST

•  As well as this (1+ / 0-)
    earthling1

'And that will take leaders willing to put people ahead of partisan politics.' We also need Democratic leaders who are willing to put people ahead of the corporate multinational profit's. 'The owners of the place' who are by-partisan and at this point run and own both parties. It's really not in our 'national interest' to have our economy and government tied to the profitability of global wealth creators who view workers as nothing more then a profit loss and a floating slave labor force. My favorite chant from an OWS march.

How to End the Deficit
                          End the Wars, Tax the Rich

•  I remember when Udall was elected... (0+ / 0-)

the Repubs labelled him as "Boulder LIBERAL Mark Udall" and showed an image of a VW microbus with smoke coming out of it, and he crushed the election. Then he turned into one of the biggest weeniecrats in the Dem caucus. Dude's a big phony. He'll vote with us if he thinks that's what he needs to do to get re-elected. God Bless the Colorado latinos that voted 87-10 democrat to make Obama's victory sizeable in Colorado. Hopefully Udall will see the political  and demographic direction his state has gone these last 4 years and vote accordingly.

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.

by Magster on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 11:19:11 AM PST

•  new bumper sticker (1+ / 0-)
    xulon

PROSPERITY Not AUSTERITY

•  the election is over (1+ / 0-)
    Celtic Legacy