Nothing against Denny's but John Metz, in particular, needs a lesson.
I believe it could be quite simple actually.

When one looks at franchisee John Metz of Denny's it's easy to realize that he is a rectal wonder.
Here's a man, and I use the term loosely, that said he would raise his prices by 5% due to Obamacare.

Apparently he didn't don his thinking cap before he made this brilliant statement to the media. He seems to have failed to understand that when he ties the name Denny's in there are a few more other franchisees that may suffer backlash from his blatant stupidity.

Those folks don't seem to be too happy nor does corporate.

His comment that, basically, if you don't like it just tip the server less undoubtedly make for great relations with the folks that labor in his employ.

Meanwhile, other Denny's franchisees have suffered losses in sales, non stop phone calls and basic anger at their establishments due to one asshole. Nice job.

So how do you send a message to just this one piece of human feces while giving support to the employees? I think it's simple and wish I were in Florida to do it.

Does anyone here like tea? I do. I love it. I carry my own with me as a matter of fact. I will go to a restaurant and order a pot of hot water and pay tea price for it so I can make my own. I gladly pay for that water for a good cup of tea.
But I digress. Or do I?

It's simple. One goes to a Denny's run by John Metz and orders the cheapest thing you can find. A cup of coffee or tea for example.

Consume said beverage or cheap meal quickly. Ask for bill. Pay bill and gladly pay the extra 5%.
If your bill comes to a dollar gladly pay that extra nickel. Nicely point out to the cashier that the owner is an asshole but it is in no way the fault of the employees. You appreciate the service and hard work provided by them.

Now BEFORE you do that make sure and leave the server a nice tip. Say $10 for the EXCELLENT service provided in the ten minutes you were there. Even if the service wasn't that great. Also make sure to politely tell them that you're sorry they work for an asshole.

Give the employee MORE than the owner instead of less. Then, if you're hungry go somewhere else to eat.

Now what would this accomplish you might ask. Customer count goes up. Actual sales go down. Servers making money that the owner "should have".

Consumers can make a point real fast. Of course you wouldn't want to hurt his sales too much as rectal wonders like John Metz would cry they had to lay off employees due to lost sales. We want the "real" workers to maintain their jobs after all.

These folks work for an asshole that has proven, at this point, he couldn't give a rat's ass about them. We need to back them while delicately sending a message to him.

I think it could be organized to send that message. Floridians target one of his establishments once a week perhaps. A money hungry person such as Metz would figure it out. It IS about money after all.

This aside if he had pulled his head away before he shoved it up his ass there was a much simpler solution.

Just raise your prices by 5%. I might even suggest 6-7% to cover the costs of new menus and pad your pockets a bit more. People will deal with that.

If your $20 meal turns to $21, $21.20 or even $21.40  most people won't bat an eye.

Instead he chose to be an asshole and make it political.

Originally posted to HoosierDebsOleMan on Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 09:23 PM PST.

Also republished by In Support of Labor and Unions and Invisible People.

Blanket statements are for IDIOTS until the IDIOT in question can back it up.

by HoosierDebsOleMan on Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 09:23:02 PM PST

•  Metz Has Already Felt The Burn..... (4+ / 0-)

Denny's CEO, John Miller, is not happy.  Not happy, at all.  He quickly smacked Metz down.

Here's the link:

•  Here's Another Link If That Doesn't Work.... (1+ / 0-)
      JayRaye
    •  That was sweet! (2+ / 0-)
      CherryTheTart, JayRaye

Still, it's a good tactic.  It would work at any restaurant with tipping.  It hits the franchisee/owner's bottom line while helping the workers.  It's not severe enough to run the risk of the restaurant closing, but sends a clear message to management which side the customers support.

Remember, Metz wasn't the only one who was shooting his mouth off.

No, I will NOT sit down or shut up...but, thanks for askin'!

by HoosierDeb on Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 11:07:50 PM PST

•  I don't see how it helps workers at all (1+ / 0-)
        dobleremolque

Reducing a business owner's revenue stream - particularly for a business owner as petty and vindictive as Metz - ends up hurting innocent workers. Do you really think he'd take a profit hit when he can simply let a few people go to make up the difference?

Furthermore, as I've pointed out in another thread on this same topic, restaurant owners frequently assign shifts based on employee sales figures. The employees who sell the most get the highest-traffic assignments. Meaning if you go in and monopolize a table at Denny's for a few hours and only order coffee, the server ends up getting penalized with a less-preferable shift the following week/month or whatever.

The extra $5-$10 or however much you're leaving as an "extra generous tip" won't begin to make up for a month of crappy shifts.

Call me cynical. But the only "trickle down" economics I believe in is "trickle down pain." If there is a way for an owner like Metz to make employees pay for your principles, he will be sure to find it.

"I can't come to bed yet! Someone is WRONG on the Internet!" - XKCD

by SingularExistence on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 10:44:38 AM PST

•  I beg to differ... (0+ / 0-)

I can see your point having managed enough businesses however I don't think you read my OP very well.

Consume said beverage or cheap meal quickly.

In no way am I suggesting an all out "assault".

As much as I think Metz is a rectum I don't want to see him destroyed. I would prefer to just send him a message.

Blanket statements are for IDIOTS until the IDIOT in question can back it up.

by HoosierDebsOleMan on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 03:13:02 PM PST

•  Slight problem (0+ / 0-)

The asshole's restaurants are in New York, not Flordia.

•  His Dennys locations (3+ / 0-)
      CherryTheTart, JayRaye, HoosierDeb

Actually, they are in Georgia, Virginia, and Florida.  I looked up RREMC and found their website.  It has a list of their locations.  It shows a couple of Dairy Queens and all of his Dennys.  You have to look up his Hurrican Grill and Wings seperately.  One of the Dennys is close to me here in central Florida.  It is the one he has in the Villages.  I live pretty close to there.  May go ahead and follow the post advice.  I haven't stopped in there for years but just might to tip and commiserate with the staff.  Then again maybe I can think of another way to let him know my opinion of his actions.  We''ll see, but this idiot needs to know that his stupidity has been noticed and rejected so the more responses the merrier.

As long as I wake up breathing everything else is a bonus. Sometimes not much of a bonus but still a bonus.

by pirate1 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 12:52:53 AM PST

•  We give cash tips to people who (7+ / 0-)

wait on us and deliver our pizza.

They'll frown and sometimes sneer when we scratch out the "tip" part on the credit card receipt and start glowing once we take their hand and enclose it with 20% tip in cash.

Why hello there reality, how are you doing?

by Future Gazer on Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 11:43:28 PM PST

•  More people should do that. (2+ / 0-)
      JayRaye, HoosierDeb

A server does not have to declare cash tip money.  And hourly wage for servers is way below minimum wage because they factor in what the server "should" be making in tips.

It can be quite lucrative to be on the waitstaff of a high end caterer or restaurant.  I have made as much as $150.00 tip for six hours of work. Denny's waitstaff is on the bottom in tip making status.

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 02:03:37 AM PST

•  Don't scratch it out, just write "cash" on the (0+ / 0-)

receipt and then put the total down as the pre-tip amount so that it looks like this:

Total: $15.00
      Tip: cash
      Final Total: $15.00

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 06:56:53 AM PST

•  Nope. I scratch it out. It's the delivery person/ (2+ / 0-)
        bronte17, newfie53523

server's choice to tell if there was an actual tip, and how much. If there is nothing in the tip section, they can say they got no tip, if they wish.

"Mitt Romney looks like the CEO who fires you, then goes to the Country Club and laughs about it with his friends." ~ Thomas Roberts MSNBC

by second gen on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:53:32 AM PST

•  Not So. Tip money IS income and must be declared (3+ / 0-)

unless it happens to fall under some paltry amount in any given month.

Restaurant owners do not have to pay servers who receive tips as part of their income the same federal minimum wage, because the servers will supposedly receive tips, as part of their income.

Whether servers DO declare the cash portion of their tips is a different matter, but it happens to be a criminal matter called "cheating on your taxes".

It seems curiosity has killed the cat that had my tongue.

by Murphoney on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 05:15:48 AM PST

•  hmm, that should be a reply to Cherry (0+ / 0-)

It seems curiosity has killed the cat that had my tongue.

by Murphoney on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 05:16:35 AM PST

•  Minimum is federal or state whichever is higher (1+ / 0-)
      JayRaye

But the amount earned in tips must at least equal that threshold, or the employer is in violation of wage and hour laws.

The employer is responsible for ensuring that the base wage + average tips = minimum wage.  The employer cannot "assume" that the tips + base wage is of no concern to the employer - the DOL makes a mean frownie face about that.  Triple wages plus fines for each violation (per pay period per person), it can get very ugly.

Employees who are not making that threshold can report (anonymously, if you choose) the employer's unfair labor practices to the regional Department of Labor Office for them to investigate.  My experience is that the DOL investigators are good and serious about their jobs, and no one likes to hear "Good Morning, we're from the Department of Labor, we'd here to take a look at your books."

And yes, tips earned over an annual threshold are supposed to be declared as income (I think it is $650 per year).  Reporting under "tips, wages" of the IRS income tax form.

"Out of Many, One Nation." This is the great promise of the United States of America -9.75 -6.87

by Uncle Moji on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 05:43:57 AM PST

•  Sure - but these are weak protections, at best. (0+ / 0-)

The onus is at least partially transferred from the owner and his bookkeeping to the service staff which must provide evidence that wages (hourly + tips) aren't up-to-snuff.

But, to the point, this reinforces the fact that servers do need to declare tips in that, if tips are not declared it will artificially depress servers' apparent wage and could lead to an increase in the frequency of fraudulent claims against some businesses who do attempt to maintain fair wage standards.

It seems curiosity has killed the cat that had my tongue.

by Murphoney on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 05:54:40 AM PST

•  The onus is on the employer (0+ / 0-)

It is his responsibility to comply with FLSA.  The law is clear.  You cannot "partially transfer" the onus or responsibility for this onto your service staff.  You cannot "assume" or "guess" or "attempt to be" in compliance with the FLSA, you MUST be in compliance.  That is not a legal defense and offers NO protection if an employee choose to drop a dime on you.

Most employees do not understand that this is the law.  I hope that by commenting here, anyone who is in that position will realize that their employers have the legal responsibility and can face serious legal trouble if they do not ensure that their servers are paid at least minimum wage.

The worry about the "frequency of fraudulent claims" by wait staff is unfounded versus the number of actual employers who deny they have any legal obligation to ensure that they are compliance with the FLSA, and allow their wait staff to work for wages below minimum.

As you might guess, I have worked on FLSA compliance in this area, but what you might miss is that I worked for employers - compliance is the responsibility of the employer not the employee.  That is the law.

by Uncle Moji on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:56:09 AM PST

•  onus is distinct from responsibility -- (1+ / 0-)
            JayRaye

do you mean to say that all employers are required to file periodic proof of compliance with the law?  If that is the case, then I stand corrected.

If not though, then the onus, the burden, for complaints of non-compliance rests with the employees who are not being compensated fairly, regardless as to whether or not they understand their rights.  My understanding was that the structure of the law is not of oversight, where compliance is recorded, but of regulation, where violations must be reported in order to be addressed.

As for your dismissal of the "worry" of fraudulent claims being unfounded -- it is simply not sensible to ignore the potential for cheating employees merely because it is so much easier for the employers to be abusive.  I don't have any need to disagree with the idea that it is easier for employers to be abusive in this manner -- my point was merely that this law makes it clearer that (and why) tips are considered part of wages and must be reported, otherwise such an abuse by employees is made easier to accomplish.

It seems curiosity has killed the cat that had my tongue.

by Murphoney on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 08:20:39 AM PST

•  "such abuse by employees is made easier" (0+ / 0-)

did you mean "such abuse by EMPLOYERS is made easier to accomplish"?

You seem to believe in some large fantasy class of "cheating employees" ie ones who would make "false" claims against compliant employers, even as you admit it is much easier for employers to abuse employees.

I've spent a lot of time with managers, directors, executives, CFOs, owners, shop stewards, in union and in non-union shops.  I am currently a director of a shareholder owned retail business. I've had to arbitrate and defend against all manner of real and false claims.  I've had to deal with private attorneys and union business agents threatening me with lawsuits or the NLRB for unfair practices of some sort or another.  I can tell you, as an agent of management, your fear of employees filing false claims versus management or owners who violate the law or union contracts is a fear without much practical weight.  The disproportionate violations are on the part of owners and management because that is where the power rests.

Which is why I believe so strongly in unions.  All kitchen and waitstaff should unionize.  It's the best protection that workers can have.

by Uncle Moji on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 10:08:37 AM PST

•  You also cannot deduct anything from the server's (1+ / 0-)
          JayRaye

pay (for meals or uniforms or laundry service or anything else) if that also drops the employee's pay to below hourly minimum wage rate (tips + base).

The best protection for employers is to pay fairly, and if their servers are making big tips, they won't complain.  If they are working for substandard wages they will either quit and go elsewhere or report you.

If you have high turnover, you might consider that you may be in violation of the FLSA and review your wage package, for your own protection.

by Uncle Moji on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 08:08:25 AM PST

•  tip, rec, repub (1+ / 0-)
    HoosierDeb

This is an excellent and simple action to take.

Also shows Solidarity with the workers, also gives us a chance to talk with the workers.

Could be used at Walmart also, btw, well not the tipping, but the chance to talk.

Go with a few friends, buy something for a dollar. Talk about OurWalmart  & worker Solidarity loudly while in line.

Hope this type of every-day action spreads all over the country. They can't stop all the rebel customers all of the time.

How many no-trespassing orders does can a business deliver before customers begin to feel unwelcomed, and city police get tired of babysitting businesses to protect them from their customers?

Brilliant and easy protest tactic, Hoosier, thank you. Debs would be proud. Added the Action tag.

WE NEVER FORGET Our Labor Martyrs: a project to honor the men, women and children who lost their lives in Freedom's Cause. For Nov: Voting Rights Martyrs

by JayRaye on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:28:39 AM PST

•  HoosierDebsOleMan's Deb IS proud! (1+ / 0-)
      JayRaye

HDOM has worked in retail in the past - a good portion of that as a manager in a variety of retail businesses.  His philosophy has always been that employees are assets, not expenses.  Too bad the greedhead CEOs and owners refuse to recognize that simple truth.

No, I will NOT sit down or shut up...but, thanks for askin'!

by HoosierDeb on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 08:40:40 AM PST

•  Eugene Victor Debs (1+ / 0-)
        HoosierDeb

Cleveland, OH
        Sept 18, 1918
        Address to the Court
        (Bending Cross Speech)

John D. Rockefeller has today an income of sixty million dollars a year, five million dollars a month, two hundred thousand dollars a day. He does not produce a penny of it. I make no attack upon Mr. Rockefeller personally. I do not in the least dislike him. If he were in need, and it were in my power to serve him, I should serve him as gladly as I would any other human being. I have no quarrel with Mr. Rockefeller personally, nor with any other capitalist. I am simply opposing a social order in which it is possible for one man who does absolutely nothing that is useful, to amass a fortune of hundreds of millions of dollars, while millions of men and women who work all of the days of their lives secure barely enough for existence.

This order of things cannot always endure. I have registered my protest against it. I recognize the feebleness of my effort, but, fortunately, I am not alone. There are multiplied thousands of others who, like myself, have come to realize that before we may truly enjoy the blessings of civilized life, we must reorganize society upon a mutual and cooperative basis; and to this end we have organized a great economic and political movement that spreads over the face of all the earth.

by JayRaye on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 09:36:59 AM PST

•  What the whining CEOs and owners don't see (1+ / 0-)
    HoosierDeb

is that they are not singled out. ALL of their competitors face the same health care issues, just as they ALL have telephone service and parking lots to pave.

By squealing like piglets, they look cheap and ignorant. And employees aren't blaming President Obama, this healthcare is the law of the land. Ask the Supreme Court.

They are revealing their weaknesses as human beings, especially to their employees and customers. And slapping themselves silly.

I enjoy it, to tell you the truth. They can keep the slightly more expensive food.
    I like the pathos. It's free of charge.

skipping over damaged area