Give the argument that union workers are lazy, but in my experience the loudest protestors against unions are the workers who think they are better than they actually are.

Not once in all of my years have I met any American worker who works hard and works alongside others who work hard denounce unions because of the very rare person taking advantage of union representation.

I have heard of these complaints about individuals who seem to be taking advantage of their union representation, but not once have I met a union member who thinks that it's the norm.

I also don't know many people who are jealous of union members doing equivalent work.  I have met people who envy those union protections but I haven't met anyone who desires the failure of other Americans.

Who are these people?  Where are they?  I'd like to talk to some of them.

Originally posted to arlandbaee on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 09:49 PM PST.

Also republished by In Support of Labor and Unions.

•   Agree (2+ / 0-)
    CherryTheTart, FloridaSNMOM

Couldn't have said it better.

•  I work with some of them. (4+ / 0-)
    DRo, CherryTheTart, gdunn, Mentatmark

I'm a University of Illinois employee/SEIU member they are union members, Rush Limbaugh listeners,
    Fox News viewers and in Illinois Brady for governor voters, "morans" in other words.

"Remember, Republican economic policies quadrupled the debt before I took office and doubled it after I left. We simply can't afford to double-down on trickle-down." Bill Clinton

by irate on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 01:40:15 AM PST

•  Many are in the Union (0+ / 0-)

They get a great union job and think they did it themselves.  That they are so "special", the Company would fall apart without them AND the Union sucks for "taking dues monies" from this great employee.

They have had great union negotiated benefits and little to no problems with management--yet, the union gets no credit.

I have dealt with some of these union members.  Most who think they are great employees--aren't.  They typically are some of the worst employees that the Company would easily fire if these people didn't have a union.

•  The lady at the party (1+ / 0-)
    FloridaSNMOM

Oh she went on and on about the unions. They were responsible for all the countries ailments. Obviously, I knew the source of her information.

As the conversation progressed, I was surprised (but in retrospect, I shouldn't have been!) when she stated that she works six days a week and that her employer does not offer health insurance, that she purchases it for herself independently.

Classic cognitive dissonance.

•  It's the crabs in a barrell thinking (0+ / 0-)

¡Cállate o despertarás la izquierda! - protest sign in Spain

by gjohnsit on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 05:43:56 AM PST

•  I think most of those people are ones from my (3+ / 0-)
    FloridaSNMOM, Sura 109, Catte Nappe

dad's generation who had bad experience with unions, mostly construction unions, during their worst period.
    My critique stemming from the 80's is that unions for a long time tried to preserve their bastions of power with a sinking job market, instead of working harder to expand union power and increase working class jobs.
    Unions went through a bad period, and now they have a chance for a rebirth now that all working class people realize that Wall Street is out to screw them.

In non-union areas, most plumbers and carpenters are small businessmen. Unions and small business have common cause against Wall Street and the 1%.

We have to evolve, and develop new strategies rather than relying on antiquated paradigms. Wall Street has been very good at dividing us, black vs white vs brown, men vs women, union vs non-union, etc. We have to stop letting them.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 06:54:54 AM PST

•  As a Steward, I have represented those people (1+ / 0-)
    unclebucky

And they mostly seem to be the right wing christian conservatives. IOKIYAR

I started to comment further, but it quickly became obvious that it was turning into a diary.

Now excuse me while I cut the rest of my comment and paste it into a draft diary...

It will be called

A Stewards Prospective on "Protecting Bad Employees"

Just your average every day Autistic hillbilly/biker/activist/union steward with an engineering degree.

by Mentatmark on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 08:20:58 AM PST

•  So, these right wing christianists... (1+ / 0-)
      Mentatmark

DO they do good work, or are they always complaining?

;O)

Ugh. --UB.

"Daddy, every time a bell rings, a Libertaria­n picks up his Pan Am tickets for the Libertaria­n Paradise of East Somalia!"

by unclebucky on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 09:03:14 AM PST

•  They are like the rest of us in that regard (0+ / 0-)

Most of us at work try to do the best we can. Most of the time problems with safety, quality, and production are caused by mismanagement. Sometimes it is the employee that is the problem. When it is a willful disregard of the rules, it is no particular group that is more or less likely to be involved.

It is the hypocrisy of those that claim the high moral ground and dislike being dues paying members of a "socialist" organization that is the real show. The excuses I hear from them make me laugh, but in a sad way.

There have been problem employees everywhere I have ever worked, and people get fired for being too big a problem. The Union is there to make sure that the rules are applied fairly and evenly, not to let members get away with murder.

by Mentatmark on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 09:22:06 AM PST

•  Proud Union Home - we got the sign, too. n/t (1+ / 0-)
    Mentatmark

by unclebucky on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 08:59:52 AM PST

•  The people I know who disagree with unions (0+ / 0-)

Tthey are not coming from a place of thinking they are better, nor are they observing anybody who is in a union taking advantage. The common theme seems to be that union leaders are corrupt, they take member dues and misuse it for their own power and wealth, and to foster political goals the union members don't agree with.

"...you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem." Mitt Romney

by Catte Nappe on Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 09:37:09 AM PST