As my internship draws to a close in the coming weeks, I continue to dread the fact that in about three weeks, I'll once again be unemployed. This leads me to the most frustrating aspect of this internship: That during this time, I've also had to look for employment, which of course, in my county is non-existent thanks to our ever so benevolent county and state government.

Don't get me wrong, the case workers and supervisors who have been with me throughout this time have been very helpful, from getting me glasses, to helping immensely with my resume among other things, so I don't blame them one bit for my frustration.

My main problem lies in the fact that the county I live in is virtually dead, especially after cutting off the shuttle program...What I'm saying is this: I'm giving up looking for work. Why? Because it's a literal race to the bottom. Nowadays employers want peons they can exploit just long enough to extract what they want and get the fuck out.

And here's what's worse: I can't leave, because that would mean my mother-in-law would have to leave her job, and of course, without that, we'd be screwed.

Do you see now why I'm so god-damned cynical and angry at times? It's because of the fact that we have the potential to make the world better for everyone as a whole, and yet many times we do just the opposite.

You can tell me to keep my head up, that the right job will come along all you want, but that ship sailed long ago. I've been punched and kicked more than most will ever know. Like I said, I'm done looking for employment, because it's clear as day there is none for one like me.

Honestly, I'd much rather fight for people instead so they don't have to be punched and kicked or just forgotten by the system like I have. I've basically thrown my hands up because I have no clue what to do anymore. You see, even if I learn to drive, it doesn't take away the fact that I'd have to work insane hours because, of course, the only thing that matters is money. Hell, we have a legal obligation to keep our 'job creators' profitable for fuck's sake, and of course these same assholes have no legal obligation to benefit the communities they've raped for decades. Small wonder the economy's so hostile to our own well-being.

The reason I'm writing this is because I'm angry. I'm angry because sometimes it feels like no matter how much effort I put in, at the end of the day I'm right back at square one and have little to nothing to show for it.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 6:32 AM PT: I appreciate the rescue, though I'm not sure it's deserved.

Originally posted to The Aspie Corner on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 04:46 PM PST.

Also republished by Parenting on the Autism Spectrum, KOSpectrum, and Community Spotlight.

I write a series called 'My Life as an Aspie', documenting my experiences before and after my A.S. diagnosis as a way to help fellow Aspies and parents of Aspies and spread awareness. If I help just one person by doing this, then I've served a purpose.

by Homer177 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 04:46:50 PM PST

•  Homer, I just attended a forum on post-secondary (23+ / 0-)

educational opportunities for adults with special needs, and I hear in your writing what I was feeling there: It's bleak out there.

It was fucking depressing, to be totally honest.

What I took away more than anything from speaking with other parents is that the more high functioning your kid, the more "invisible" the disability, the harder it is.

One mom was complaining that her daughter's case worker kept telling her she was lazy because she wouldn't take graveyard shift (which meant that the mom would have to work around graveyard shift, and she had a job), or a volunteer position at Goodwill with other kids who were very troubled.

All I can tell you is bland rah-rah advice.  Hang in there, keep your chin up, try not to let the a-holes out there get you down, and remember that you have a lot to offer.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 05:04:55 PM PST

•  This is exactly why I'm so angry. (15+ / 0-)

And to be honest, this is also why I won't go anywhere near the private sector. You have to be damn near criminal to get anywhere in this country these days and it makes me sick to my stomach.

I won't lower myself just so some two-bit white-collar criminal can make a buck.

by Homer177 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 05:10:42 PM PST

•  You are determined to find a non-profit, (4+ / 0-)

public sector, or otherwise ethical employer, and you will! Go for it.

Your anger is beautiful - it is helping you articulate what you don't want, and will not accept. It is showing you the truth about who you are. You are on the brink of an exceptional life.

I'll try to find some non-profit-type resources and put in another comment.

Also, meetup.com is hiring, based in NYC:

Meetup hiring NYC

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." -- JC, Matthew 6:24

by Chi on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 04:56:50 AM PST

•  Actually... (3+ / 0-)
        KateCrashes, Nulwee, jabney

... my friends are treated pretty poorly in the non-profit sector, which is why I advise them to avoid it if they can. I wouldn't describe my friends who work in the private sector as "criminal", either.

•  "Black and white thinking" (6+ / 1-)

"Black and white" thinking is a symptom of Asperger's Syndrome, and it looks like this is manifesting itself when you consider what jobs you consider acceptable for yourself. It's worth considering whether this attitude towards the private sector and people who work in the private sector vs. the public sector and non-profits is just a manifestation of A.S. that you need to work past in order to find a sustainable job.

•  Just in case you haven't figured it out... (2+ / 0-)

There's no such thing as a sustainable job in the United States. Maybe you're just saying this because you happen to have a job, so I won't hold it against you.

However, I will also tell you that my thinking is hardly Black and White. I also have physical disabilities caused by birth defects that could have been prevented due to parental and doctor negligence.

I've worked every kind of job you can imagine, and with that experience I've also suffered many workplace abuses due to the fact that I need accommodations in order to perform high stress manual labor jobs.

You can tell me my thinking is black and white, but you wouldn't say the same if the shoe were on the other foot.

by Homer177 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 09:14:03 AM PST

•  An example of "black and white thinking" (1+ / 1-)
            Lisa
            Hidden by:
            Liberal Of Limeyland

... is this:

That kind of belief system is inhibiting you in your search for a job, but it's also a belief system that is symptomatic of A.S., not a reflection of reality.
            •  Nice job with the condescension. (2+ / 0-)

I just love how you totally sidestepped my comment and went for the lowest common denominator. Just wait. The shoe will be on your foot soon enough, and you won't get the least bit of sympathy from me.

by Homer177 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 10:04:27 AM PST

•  Separate A.S.-rooted-maladaption from reality (1+ / 1-)
                Lisa
                Hidden by:
                Liberal Of Limeyland

You're the one who said that everyone else who's working in the private sector is "a damn near criminal" who "lower[s]" themselves "just so some two-bit white-collar criminal can make a buck."

Perhaps you should consider your outlook as being part of the A.S. issues some A.S. people have with social adaptation and rigidity of thinking that needs to be "worked on" in an effort to get your life together rather than believing that "the world is against you."

•  That's exactly how the private sector works. (2+ / 0-)
                  brentbent, Liberal Of Limeyland

If you'd done even the most minimal amount of research you'd realize that. Maybe I should word this differently then: You have to be damn near criminal in the private sector in order to make a decent living because the folks who robbed us blind did were able to do so because we lost our few means of defense that kept the private sector at least somewhat  honest.

Seriously, who the fuck are you to judge me like this?

What you call being rigid is simply having some shred of decency and dignity. We gave those things up so that the jackoffs that you're defending can continue feeding us 'average' folks to their machines for more wealth extraction.

If refusing to have any part of the cannibalistic nature of our economy makes me rigid, then so be it.

by Homer177 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 10:27:10 AM PST

•  I'm tempted to HR this. nt (0+ / 0-)

If I can shoot rabbits, then I shoot fascists- Manic Street Preachers

by Liberal Of Limeyland on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 07:38:00 PM PST

•  I am uprating (1+ / 0-)
                  Williston Barrett

to counteract bullshit hide rates.

The diarist is upset and emotional and it's coming across as catastrophic thinking. The poster is merely trying to point out that the tone is counter-productive. That's not an HR offense.

•  Catastrophic in what way? (0+ / 0-)

The fact that I'm sick and tired of seeing this country defending jackoffs who threaten to tank the economy further (as if that were possible) if they don't get to keep their tax breaks?

The fact that people have to sell out their principles just to make a decent living, only to have it stolen from them in their old age?

The fact that this country is so fucking rigid that any talk of even the smallest thing that benefits the rest of us is considered Communism? Or that we're so rigid that anyone who doesn't chant 'USA! USA!' is considered Un-American?

You're right. I am upset. I'm upset because I have to watch helplessly as my fellow Americans are trampled on constantly by the greed of some K-Street fucktard and his rich friends who think letting this country fall to shit will actually save it.

And I'm even more angry that we, as people with Asperger's continue to be vilified and demonized by our do-less-than-nothing constructive media.

You can call me emotional, but if you ask me, I'm surprised more people aren't pissed off at the way we're consistently raped of anything of value just to keep a few whiny, simpering fucking scrooges happy.

by Homer177 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 at 07:24:20 AM PST

•  There's always plumbing. It's sustainable and it (1+ / 0-)
            Homer177

can be very profitable. And you will be doing a valuable, literally important service for the public.
            And you don't have to screw anyone you don't want to.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 07:55:37 PM PST

•  Nice pun at the end. (1+ / 0-)
              linkage

I don't do too well with physical labor though. Believe me, I've tried. I work best with computer software and data entry..though unfortunately Database Administration seems to be a dying profession.

by Homer177 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 08:13:42 PM PST

•  Well, hang in there and try not to limit yourself. (0+ / 0-)

I'm reading about Asperger's and wondering if I wasn't "an Aspie".
                I empathize.
                However, I'm going to give you some advice based on my experience.
                Don't let your diagnosis be a crutch or a prison.
                Life is a disorder.
                Use your understanding to enable you, to empower you, but also, break out of any conceptual restraints.
                You don't  have to stake your whole future on it, just take a course at the local community college or something.
                Something that breaks the mold. Think outside the box.
                As an end in itself.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 08:39:46 PM PST

•  Can't believe 5 people uprated this POS comment nt (0+ / 0-)

If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists- Manic Street Preachers

by Liberal Of Limeyland on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 07:47:54 PM PST

•  Dont think that post secondary education.. (6+ / 0-)

Is the way out. I highly suspect that I have aspergers and I've been through a business administration program at a highly respected local university.

What do I have to show for it? Jack shit. I work a night shift at a warehouse for 15 dollars an hour. In the heart of California that means nothing. That's an apartment in a neighborhood where they pull OD's off the street every week.

It plain sucks being an aspie in this COUNTRY

•  It sucks being disabled in general in the US.. (3+ / 0-)

It sucks being American period. In a land where people are taught that compassion for your fellow man is of no concern compared to profit at any cost, I don't see how people can stand living like this anymore..

by Homer177 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 09:49:07 AM PST

•  My Aspie daughter (15+ / 0-)

is probably unemployable. There are just too many obstacles for her. I had lined up a volunteer job for her, and she liked the job but hated the building she had to work in: it made her seriously claustrophobic. And that's just one example. Stuff like getting to work on time, doing things under deadline pressure, and of course dealing with other people, that is all very challenging. And yet, she is high-functioning in a lot of ways.

It's hard getting a job for practically everyone in the current economy. But Aspies are going to have it harder than others, all other things being equal.

•  the only thing i can think of (9+ / 0-)

reading your post, trying to look at it objectively  ,(without knowing the whole story of course, i admit)
    is that when you say things like you can't leave because your mother in law would lose her job, or 'have to work insane hours' you might inadvertently be closing off some possibilities  or opportunities for yourself.

i  do not mean to suggest in any way that you have not been trying your damndest, but try to think if there are any conditions or barriers you might be erecting, that maybe could be negotiated. maybe there will come an opportunity that might involve a move but that might be doable after all, things like that...

it is really tough when you feel exhausted, rejected, not finding work...it does feel like you get yourself up over and over jut to get slammed over and over.. taking it one day at a time works for some...trying to find an inner core of strength and resolve, trying to come up with resources and ideas that you may not have thought of before. trying not to let the yesterday make today suck, but let today be a new day, every day. very very tough, but that is what will get you through.
    the other thing is, and this is tough for a lot of us, but making personal connections as much as possible, so that others are also keeping an eye out for opportunities that might work for you...and making sure  they know the skills you do have.

i remember reading this bit of advice..if you want to someday have your ship come in, everyday try sending out ships....eventually one of them will return for you.

wishing the best for you. it's rough out there for a lot of folks right now... hang in there.

•  You can give up... (9+ / 0-)

or you can keep going. There are jobs out there.

I understand the frustration - I have Asperger's too, and job hunting and interviewing is the most nerve-wracking process for folks like us.

•  Homer, (7+ / 0-)

Sounds like today you just need to vent. Know that we support you.

Stay fired up: now is the time to focus on downticket change! #Forward

by emidesu on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 08:38:56 PM PST

•  This definitely rang true for me. My ex-employer (8+ / 0-)

cheated me out of $10,000 of compensation. When he told me "the check was in the mail" I believed him. I also believed him when he said times were tough, until his wife let it slip that the family took a lovely European vacation. At that point I gave my notice but basically walked away from the missing pay.

I found another contract position in a related field after going back to school. But the position is extremely precarious, and right now, I'm feeling overmatched, with the sense that everyone else out there is faster, stronger, smarter. Nonetheless, I'm giving it my best shot and reminding myself that this is work I love and I should enjoy it while I have the chance.

•  Sadly most people feel the same anger. Until (9+ / 0-)

We all accept that WE are all connected, no matter what shape, size, color, disability, or where or how we live, this angst will stay. We live we die, No one can choose their families and most have only not so great choices.

Peace.

"Time is for careful people, not passionate ones."

"Life without emotions is like an engine without fuel."

by roseeriter on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 04:29:42 AM PST

•  That won't happen for a while. On the other hand.. (3+ / 0-)

This past election was a pretty good step in the right direction, actually, especially with Duckworth and Baldwin as Congresspersons-Elect, so I guess the fight for that kind of society isn't lost yet.

by Homer177 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 08:23:22 PM PST

•  what would your ideal job be? (2+ / 0-)
    cotterperson, demdoc

If money wasn't the problem, what would you choose to do with your life?

•  Believe me, I feel your pain. (9+ / 0-)

I'm an Aspie myself and tried to become a scientist, a career that, until about 20 years ago, had a lot of room for people of.....eccentric dispositions.  Now there's close to a thousand bioscience Ph.D.s for every job out there, so all of what made science a more "friendly" career - flexibility of schedule, minimal politicking and gladhanding, etc., have all gone.

I've even gone and invented a game to help teach teenagers microbiology.  But the capital to market it...just isn't there.

I'm still searching like crazy, but the jobs are incredibly scarce.  I really think the problem of you, and so many others, isn't the disability or lack of creativity.  It's the lack of money.

•  Given trhe criminal nature of our country... (2+ / 0-)
      ArchTeryx, Mistral Wind

Your comment is an understatement. For well over three decades, this country has been robbed blind by the very people who claim the poor are lazy or have too much money.

I'm just disgusted with how we've become no more than property do be disposed of after outliving our 'usefulness'.

by Homer177 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 09:19:12 AM PST

•  This is largely true... (4+ / 0-)
        Homer177, Nowhere Man, demdoc, linkage

...however, there are some good souls out there.  The only reason that I still have any chance at all of a science career is because I got decent people to act as my patrons through the process.

I got the Ph.D. through nearly 10 years of sheer effort, through at least two attempts to kick me out of my alma mater AND through a nearly fatal illness.  The reason: my department chair turned out to be a real human being, and refused to let the rest of the system railroad me.

Institutions are where the banality of evil starts, but the individuals within it can put a stop to it if they so choose.  Some do not.  But some may, if only given the chance.

The Beltway (where I did my postdoc, BTW, at the NIH) and the political and economic system of the U.S. has become dominated by white collar criminals.  But that doesn't mean everyone signed on to that.  Not even all those with money and power.

•  I have some support where I'm working now.. (2+ / 0-)
          ArchTeryx, demdoc

Many folks with the county want me as a full time employee. Problem is I have a lot of hurdles to jump before that's even a possibility.

by Homer177 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 10:33:16 AM PST

•  Same here with me at UMich. (2+ / 0-)
            Homer177, demdoc

I'm in the process of developing a "better mousetrap" by significantly advancing the use of what the biomedical people call "deep sequencing" in the study of viruses.  That may be very useful not just to the research people, but to the clinical (medical) people as well.

The trouble is, by the institutional standards of the University of Michigan, my publication record is far too mediocre in their minds to advance me to faculty status.  And yet, they are showing interest in making me the administrator of my own lab, which pretty much demands faculty status.

It may come down to giving UM an ultimatum: up, or out.  Give me the pay and status my expertise demands or I take my better mousetrap somewhere that is willing to do so.  I'm not willing to simply be a cheap-labor lab rat with administrator responsibilities.  Period.  The world is often many shades of grey, but in this case, the Aspie black-or-white view is the correct one.

Sometimes you just have to take a stand, and the issue IS black and white, right or wrong.  You can't be afraid to, or you'll be chewed up and spit out.

•  Considering we're the first county in the state.. (1+ / 0-)
              ArchTeryx

to be working with GIS, and how quickly I learned my way around it, I may just find a way to do that myself. I'm getting paid minimum wage, and working half the hours of most of my department. Yet I've managed to convert years worth of logbooks into digital data.

They can't keep up with my work, and they consider me the top GIS Tech in the department. That should tell you something.

by Homer177 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 01:39:10 PM PST

•  Isn't it fun being in the 99%? (6+ / 0-)

I've been looking for work for two years. Unfortunately, I'm highly skilled in a dying industry. The job ads I see are either for low-wage McJobs, or skilled jobs that pay half of what they used to.

•  No kidding. (3+ / 0-)
      jck, Liberal Of Limeyland, linkage

It's almost like we've turned the clock back to 1929. The only difference is that now our ever so benevolent congress, senate and other branches of government are now doing just enough to maintain a stalemate to keep us fighting with one another. We're easier to exploit that way and the wealthy know it.

by Homer177 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 09:24:52 AM PST

•  As an Aspie myself, I empathize with you... (5+ / 0-)

and speaking of empathize...yes, we Aspies empathize (despite what others might say)...problem I've found is that we empathize too much.  As Homer points out, some people don't care enough to notice their own integrity going to shit, or are numb enough to play the game.

I think I've finally hit on a job that is perfect for me. Truck driving. Working in Hollywood wasn't cutting it, especially as an Aspie. My heightened sensitivity to sound was a boon for working in sound editing, but I just lack the social skills to keep my networking going...plus too many jobs are leaving California.

But truck driving is feeling pretty good right now. I'm not overwhelmed with social pressures, I'm not constantly exposed to people overwhelming my space...the jobs are in high demand and pay decently.

The only downside is the environmental impact...but I hope to convert my future truck to either biodesiel or natural gas.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire.

by JWK on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 11:26:57 AM PST

•  Some Things to Consider (3+ / 0-)

It's a gamble, of course, but perhaps resign yourself to the fact that you are going to be exploited no matter what. Then figure out how to turn that to your advantage. As an aspie, you may take pleasure in concentrating on something to the point that you become the expert. Even volunteering can be a way to get a chance for showing what you can do.

best,

john

Strange that a harp of thousand strings should keep in tune so long

by jabney on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 05:47:27 PM PST

•  That's what I've been doing... (1+ / 0-)
      linkage

with this internship. It's also why the department I work in wants me as a full employee so badly, but down here in Flori-DUH, nobody seems to give a god-damn about infrastructure maintenance because of constant budget slashing. Thanks a lot, Governor Voldemort.

by Homer177 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 08:19:30 PM PST

•  What would be your ideal job? (1+ / 0-)
    Homer177

JMMcdonald asked you that, up back aways in the replies. What are your thoughts on the subject? Maybe it would help us understand you, and your abilities, better. I appreciate what you've taught us thus far.

•  To tell you the truth... (0+ / 0-)

I like what I'm doing now with GIS quite a bit. It's pretty fascinating. I'm also a gamer to a lesser extent but I've never been good with graphic design or modeling.

by Homer177 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 at 03:13:01 PM PST

•  GIS? (0+ / 0-)

So, tell the rest of us what GIS is. What does one do that does GIS? What are the tasks. What is fun to do, what is the drudgery of it?  Maybe I'm the only one on the planet that doesn't know, but I doubt it. So, explain, please. Thanks.

•  Geographic Information Systems.. (0+ / 0-)

It deals a good deal with databases and maps. Right now my county is using it to convert hard copy field data into digital data and maps, and it's supposedly a pretty big deal because we're the first county to do this in the state.

by Homer177 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 at 05:48:00 AM PST