Skip to main content

Friday, May 20, 2011 -- Governor Deval Patrick joins Lieutenant Governor Murray and Treasurer Steve Grossman for an announcement relative to the Commonwealth’s Bond Program.
Massachusetts Treasurer Steve Grossman and Gov. Deval Patrick
Massachusetts Lt. Gov. Tim Murray's announcement that he won't be running for governor, "leaves," according to David Nir, "state Treasurer Steve Grossman as the most prominent potential candidate." In light of that, it's worth looking at Grossman's view of a plan to cut retiree health care for public workers in Massachusetts. The plan, backed by leaders of several major unions in the state (who will presumably be hearing from their members, because seriously), would make public employees work 20 years to be eligible for retiree health care, rather than the current 10 years, and:
Currently, most state and local workers pay 20 percent of their premiums if they have worked for 10 years on the job. Under the governor’s plan, they will have to pay 50 percent of their premiums if they retire after 20 years of service. Only after 30 years of service will the government pick up 80 percent of their premiums, leaving them with 20 percent of the cost.
Paying a larger percent of their premiums is one thing, but moving the bar from 10 years to 20 years potentially screws workers who've been at their jobs for more than 10 years but less than 20 yet had the nerve to hope to retire with health care. But while we can debate the overall merits of the plan, Steve Grossman really can just bite me, because his take on this is that:
"This is exactly what the investor community wants to hear," he said. "It’s another element in a series of reforms that have been acheieved in the last several years."
The "investor community"? What, like the people having the conversations in the bathrooms at Davos are excited about this? What about teachers and snowplow drivers and nurses and librarians in the Massachusetts communities? Anyone whose interest lies in giving "the investor community" exactly what it wants to hear should stick to a job representing the investor community and not retirees. And that's not what the governor should be.

Originally posted to Daily Kos Labor on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 01:00 PM PST.

Also republished by Massachusetts Kosmopolitans.

Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags


More Tagging tips:

A tag is a way to search for this diary. If someone is searching for "Barack Obama," is this a diary they'd be trying to find?

Use a person's full name, without any title. Senator Obama may become President Obama, and Michelle Obama might run for office.

If your diary covers an election or elected official, use election tags, which are generally the state abbreviation followed by the office. CA-01 is the first district House seat. CA-Sen covers both senate races. NY-GOV covers the New York governor's race.

Tags do not compound: that is, "education reform" is a completely different tag from "education". A tag like "reform" alone is probably not meaningful.

Consider if one or more of these tags fits your diary: Civil Rights, Community, Congress, Culture, Economy, Education, Elections, Energy, Environment, Health Care, International, Labor, Law, Media, Meta, National Security, Science, Transportation, or White House. If your diary is specific to a state, consider adding the state (California, Texas, etc). Keep in mind, though, that there are many wonderful and important diaries that don't fit in any of these tags. Don't worry if yours doesn't.

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed from the site and returned to your drafts for further editing.)
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site