I realize I've been kicking myself in the ass a lot lately..I suppose it's an easy thing to do when the job market where you live has no pulse whatsoever.

Last week I had an interview with a local insurance company for a sales position. I was turned down, of course because I don't have a driver's license. You'd think I'd be really upset about it, but after being turned down so many times, it's something I come to expect with any interview, because these days, despite my field supposedly being #1, there are zero paying jobs to be had.

On the other hand, I went back to my GIS position as a volunteer. To be honest, I feel this is a hell of a lot more constructive than trying to search the proverbial zombie job market for a faint pulse.

One of my supervisors there drove me to the DMV so I can get my permit back and try driving again, and the head of the department is looking for the budget to hire me as a full time worker (So I heard, anyway), so I figure that the best thing I can do is simply show them they'll find no better worker, driver's license or not. Either way, I'm planning on getting a full license within the month. Whether this will happen or not is anyone's guess, but based on my first time back behind the wheel, it looks promising.

I'm still not counting on a paying job though, and while my family accepts that, I find it incredibly difficult to do so. In any case, I will keep trying, fruitless as the effort feels sometimes.

See you around,

Homer

I write a series called 'My Life as an Aspie', documenting my experiences before and after my A.S. diagnosis as a way to help fellow Aspies and parents of Aspies and spread awareness. If I help just one person by doing this, then I've served a purpose.

by Homer177 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 05:40:29 PM PST

•  Some smart people I know say just do the (6+ / 0-)

footwork and don't try and control the outcome. Tricky. Easier said than done. But my days go better when I try to live that way. :)

Poverty = politics.

by Renee on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 05:48:35 PM PST

•  That's why I quit job hunting. (3+ / 0-)

There really is no point in it when it's all about who you know. Some might call it nepotism but in my defense, I've shown people what I'm capable of and that's exactly why so many in my county stand behind me.

by Homer177 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 07:09:24 PM PST

•  At least you can get your license? (8+ / 0-)

I've had seizures 12 days in the last month. Gods only know if I'll be able to ever get mine again. Right now I'm trying to pack in between episodes. Lots of fun LOL. Maybe once we get moved and the rent is higher they'll give me my medicaid back and we can figure out wtf is going on with my body. I can hope right?
    In the mean time my autistic child is trying to help and keep himself calm and not freaking out over the move at the same time. Not always successful.

by FloridaSNMOM on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 06:10:03 PM PST

•  I'm not sure if I'll get it... (3+ / 0-)
      FloridaSNMOM, ladybug53, Youffraita

And to be honest I wish I didn't have to, but most employers won't take you seriously if you can't drive. It's just another excuse for employers because profit is all that matters.

by Homer177 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 07:07:25 PM PST

•  I think (0+ / 0-)

they think if you can't drive you can't get there reliably. Or maybe they want you to be able to run errands for the job? I don't know I've never fully understood it either. I would think if there was a medical reason you couldn't drive (eyesight, seizures, etc) than not hiring you because you can't drive would be a discrimination suit.

by FloridaSNMOM on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 02:10:55 AM PST

•  I get there just fine and dandy... (0+ / 0-)

And it's close to a 2 hour commute. I doubt any progress would be made if I were to file a discrimination suit of any kind, but then again, most laws don't apply here in Florida anyway, being a so-called 'right to work' state and all.

by Homer177 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 08:57:38 AM PST

•  Just breathe, and take your time. (0+ / 0-)

Get's a lot of practice before you take your driving test.  Have someone over 18 and licensed to go with you.  Pick a quiet parking lot and neighborhood streets to practice in first.

Be sure to practice your parallel parking a lot and use your turn signals!.

"Death is the winner in any war." - Nightwish/Imaginareum/Song of myself.

by doingbusinessas on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 08:52:27 PM PST