Poor Phyllis. She's so misunderstood. She's simply trying to help poor feminists see the light. Her heart breaks for them, stuck in their poor, loveless lives, without the comfort of strong, male arms to comfort them and the tender, little hands of children reaching out for a hug.
SHE CANNOT SIT BACK AND WATCH THEM SUFFER ANY LONGER.
She's just trying to explain the FACTS about the so-called PAY GAP.
Women place a much higher value on pleasant working conditions: a clean, comfortable, air-conditioned office with congenial co-workers. Men, on the other hand, are more willing to endure unpleasant working conditions to earn higher pay, doing dirty, dangerous outside work. In 2012, men suffered 92 percent of work-related deaths.She's right! Men DID suffer 92 % of work-related injuries. While "dangerous outside work" had a bit to do with that, most of the deaths were traffic related. Also, she's doing a bit of assuming that those dangerous jobs out there have salaries that skew higher. That might not be true.
I'm not here to quibble, however, I'm here to decipher and let's face it, Ms. Schlafly just wants the best for feminists.
Women work fewer hours per day, per week, per year. They spend fewer years as full-time workers outside the home, avoid jobs that require overtime, and choose jobs with flexibility to take time off for personal reasons. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, men are twice as likely as women to work more than 40 hours a week.You gotta love a woman who spends time on the Bureau of Labor Statistics website! She picked one fact out of their study comparing men's and women's salaries. That means her above statement contains truth!
Clearly, you, distinguished reader, would like to glean more truth about men's and women's salaries. Do what Phyllis did. Go here to find out more. You may wish to look at a few more facts than she. You'll learn things like female chief executive officers make 72% of a man's salary. Clearly, this is because the other 28% is spent on their extensive time off, air conditioned offices and congenial co-workers. That costs money!
Perhaps an even more important reason for women's lower pay is the choices women make in their personal lives, such as having children. Women with children earn less, but childless women earn about the same as men.Aha! Phyllis found an unnamed source that did what the Bureau of Labor Statistics doesn't do: measure women's salaries by their parental status. BLS only measures by marital status and women who never married earn 92.3% of a man's salary. Of course, that includes the woman in my office who never married but adopted her sister's four kids after her sister passed away. I have to tell her she should be earning 92.3%. That will make her happy, just like Phyllis would have wanted!
Then again, maybe Phyllis read this Canadian study.
OK, gals, this is where Ms. Schlafly gets all "Millionaire Matchmaker" on us!
Another fact is the influence of hypergamy, which means that women typically choose a mate (husband or boyfriend) who earns more than she does. Men don't have the same preference for a higher-earning mate.Ms. Schlafly uses the time-honored technique of using a fancy term to give her argument more weight....and it works! Hypergamy is a real thing. Look it up on the Wikipedia! Just don't read the footnotes, or you'll poke a small but insignificant hole in that argument when it comes to nations where there is little gender pay disparity.
While women prefer to HAVE a higher-earning partner, men generally prefer to BE the higher-earning partner in a relationship. This simple but profound difference between the sexes has powerful consequences for the so-called pay gap.
It's an NIH study. Why do we even have an NIH. Sounds like Communism to me and that makes Phyllis have the sads.
So does your feminism, gals. But what I really think is beginning to give Phyllis the sads is globalism. Read this last quote:
The real economic story of the past 30 years is that women's pay has effectively risen to virtual parity, but men's pay has stagnated and thousands of well-paid blue-collar jobs have been shipped to low-wage countries. Nobody should be surprised that the marriage rate has fallen, the age of first marriage has risen, and marriage, in general, has become unstable.Note, too, that she doesn't seem to think gay marriage is threatening "marriage, in general."
No, it's you greedy feminists, with your desire for a higher paying job with shorter work hours, air-conditioning and pleasant co-workers.
You need to be more like Phyllis, who married a lawyer from a rich family. Don't be like her mom, who went to work after her husband became unemployed during the Depression.
She's just trying to help.